Wednesday, September 22, 2010

The call...

Today, I received a phone call from Ms. Gaye at North Florida OB/Gyn. She wanted to let me know that the results were in from our first trimester screening. I had all expectations for her to say that everything looked normal and healthy and she would see us back in October. However, the conversation went slightly different. She was very soft and gentle and chose her words very carefully. She let me know that according to the baby’s measurements and the results of my blood test, the chances of the baby having Down’s syndrome were slightly higher than normal. As soon as she said this, my heart stopped. I was immediately hurting for my sweet baby and was letting my mind wander to think worse things that could be wrong and how my baby would hurt. It is absolutely amazing how protective you can be over someone you have never met, felt, or even seen. Well, I guess we have seen the baby and we have seen it moving around and looking like an actual baby and it just makes everything so much more real when you experience that.


So she went on to explain that the chances were still very low, but higher than normal. In a woman over 35, the chance is 1 in 220. For me, it’s 1 in 120. Still less than a percent and we know God is not a God of statistics. Anyhow, Ms. Gaye went on to tell me the next step in this process, and how we needed to schedule an ultrasound for around 16 weeks. At this point in the pregnancy, they should be able to better determine the possibility of this happening. However, if they still cannot confirm, they then suggest amniocentesis. Not sure how many of you know about this, but it increases your chances of miscarriage. I told her absolutely not. We will love this baby no matter what, and I am not putting my baby’s life at risk just to know whether or not he/she will have this genetic difference.


Since that conversation, we have been in prayer and have asked a few close friends for prayer as well. We don’t want prayer for things to change, but rather for us to keep the joy we have and also for nothing more serious to be wrong. I think I can speak for Brian and me both when I say that if God has chosen to bless us with a child with Down’s, then obviously He entrusts us with a huge responsibility and sees us fit to love and care for this child. That being said, we want to rejoice in this! We have not told our families, as we don’t want them worrying. If we do indeed get confirmation, we will share the news at that time. Until then, we will be in constant prayer for our sweet unborn baby and pray that he/she keeps growing and getting strong! We should find out in early November if it is a he or a she, but I am hoping that they can tell us at the 16 week ultrasound! It is scheduled for October 12th, which is so close!!! :)



I will leave you with a passage that we studied Wednesday night...how appropriate and amazing that God would give us this encouragement on the day we found out this news.

“Count it all joy, my brothers, when you meet trials of various kinds, for you know that the testing of your faith produces steadfastness. And let steadfastness have its full effect, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing.”

-James 1:2-4

No comments:

Post a Comment